RSS

Autorzy:

Summer 2011 clinical externship at Alvarado Veterinary Clinic, Texas

Last summer I met a great opportunity and had one of my best experiences in veterinary field. I went to Alvarado veterinary clinic (about 40 miles from Fort Worth,Texas) to get some practise, learn and visit another part of the world. In fact, what I learned and saw was way beyond my any expectations. I also met a lot of fantastic people that I stay in touch with until now.
Alvarado Veterinary is the largest mixed-animal hospital in Texas. Equine hospital has 4 stocks, 2 mare/foal stocks, breeding lab and 16 stalls. The facility also has a separate equine surgery room. Their practise involves breeding, show horses, boarding centers, ranch/rodeo, and performance and pleasure horses.
The food animal practise is mostly cow/calf, show cows, rodeo bulls, small ruminants, and occasional show pigs.
The small animal hospital has 7 exam rooms, equiped with in-house lab with blood gases and clotting profiles, 3 sonograms, digital x-rays, monitors for anesthesia and much more. AVC also offers advanced small animal orthopedic services.








This is where I lived :)


As soon as I arrived to a hot Texas, I was presented to the clinic and staff and we begun to work.

Early morning we started with cattle dehorning which was kind of shock for me at the beginning... 

This was our fully equiped cattle barn, right behind there are some calves after procedure. 


After castration we kept all testicles to be served later on a bbq :)
Marking was frecuently performed as well.


Texas longhorns-they are just beautiful!!!!



Some particular clinical cases we faced, for example umbilical hernia



 Jose is preparing the patient for a surgery


Here with dr White performing the hernia reductionI was even let have some hands-on practise, I loved it!!!!



 Thank to hydraulic chute finding a hoof abscess is much easier

Here a quick autopsy
Assisting in parturition was one of my favourites duties 






Another very interesing clinical case-imperforate anus




Here a pink eye disease, if anyone's interested iam attaching my presentation about this case at the end of the post








Here articular puncture
























  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.