RSS

Autorzy:

The Small Animal Rotating Internship, Munich, 2014-2015 part 2





Our lovely team of 8 interns at the last day of internship

This has been an awesome year! I have a feeling that I learned so much and I became more self-confident as a vet. Working in Munich at the university clinic, the most challenging were night- and weekend-shifts while working on my own I learned to make decisions. Many times I faced a huge variety of conditions starting from simple gastro-intestinal problems, up to decompensated cardiac failures or animals in seizures. Many times I had to deal with many of those in the same time, learning the triage. Crazy hours including 24-hour shifts with no break, tones of seminars and trainings were absolutely rewarding and satisfying (but also tiring).During my time in internal medicine the most important thing I learned was the structured way of solving medical problems. It makes your life much easier! Starting from patients description, all the necessary data from signalment, through clinical exam, laboratory findings to the list of differential diagnoses. This oriented way of work saves a lot of time and money of your clients (before we fun more expensive investigations including endoskopy, biopsies etc).In anaesthesia and critical care I was able to anesthetize for many procedures but also take care of many critical patients (including sepsis, DIC, internal hemorrhages, tetanus and many others). I developed some interest in transfusion medicine as well.In neurology we mainly learned how to manage patients with seizures as an emergency but also long-term (including diagnostic imaging and drugs monitoring).My rotation in dermatology has been extremely usefull. I learned how frustrating these cases can be and how to avoid most common mistakes.In laboratory I went through hundreds of blood smears, urine sediments and other body fluids JIn cardiology we were trained to interpretate ECGs and basic echocardiography images.In surgery I was mainly interested in oncological surgeries, I have to admit that orthopedics is not my favourite topic...At the end I spent 6 weeks in my favourite oncology where I would do a complete work-up of the patient starting from imaging, FNA’s, biopsies and at the end treatment modalities including chemotherapy, surgery or radiation therapy. After a year full of work, I decided to further develop my interest in oncology and in October I moved to UK, where I have started working in Oncology Unit of the Animal Health trust. I hope to find some time in 2016 to update you about the new chapter of my life J

During the party celebrating our last day, we have spontaneously helped our colleague in CPR ;)





Bruno- my favourite and braviest patient, went through sepsis and DIC and thank to his great and dedicated family, he made it :) 























  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.